|Academic Advisor (aHEO) - Office of Advising|
Company: Hunter College
Location: New York City, NY
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 11/30/2022
Expire Date: 01/30/2023
Job Categories: Education
Academic Advisor (aHEO) - Office of Advising|
Academic Advisor (aHEO) - Office of Advising
Job ID: 25585
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Academic Advisor will report to the Academic Advising Manager. In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, the Academic Advisor will be responsible for the following duties:
• Provides academic advising for undergraduate students and works closely with supervisor, faculty, and other academic advisors and departments to ensure that students are presented with a broad base of opportunities with which to optimize their experience at Hunter College.
• Identifies and creating high-impact academic advising practices in computer science, STEM programs in particular, and other programs of study more generally.
• Focuses on early identification and engagement with potential computer science and other STEM majors- including pre-nursing and pre-health professions- and advising declared majors in academic planning.
• Identifies critical milestones and transitions for students pursuing computer science or other STEM majors and will advise students regarding all aspects of their curriculum.
• Uses multiple technologies to advise and communicate with student caseload, including CUNYFirst, DegreeWorks, EAB Navigate, Zoom, project management software, etc.
• Engages in proactive advising, including group programming for potential and current computer science and other STEM students; integrates best practices that support increased retention and graduation rates, such as credit momentum, timely major declaration, and connection to campus resources and opportunities.
• Proactively engages students in the advising process through appointment campaigns, group advising, and other related technologies and communication. Practices an advising approach that teaches an in-depth understanding of curricular options and course planning.
• Works with faculty members and staff from other departments to identify opportunities for collaboration with advising and new initiatives dedicated to supporting student success.
• Identifies and uses resources to support student success and make appropriate referrals.
• Seeks to strengthen advising relationships with strategic partners such as Admissions, Career Development Services, Financial Aid, Pre-Professional Advising, and Learning Centers.
• Assists in the ongoing development and assessment of learning outcomes for advising.
• Utilizes research and theory related to student learning, advising, and retention to promote student success.
• Actively promotes accessibility and visibility of advising through public programs and online presence. The advisor is expected to have staff photos and biography on the website, and engage in Skype advising, chat rooms, social media, videos, and online tutorials.
• The position may occasionally require evening and/or weekend work.
Bachelor's Degree required.
• Two years of higher education administration, advising, or related experience preferred.
• Displays and employs solid written and oral communication skills.
• Computer and technology skills, especially Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), experience with social media, CRM systems, and student advising strategy software (EAB Navigate) preferred.
• Experience assisting with programs and providing services to support student success and retention.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
• Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
• Assists students with clarifying values and goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
• Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
• Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
• Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
• Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
• May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advisor
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience ($44,411-$49,960).
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New York job website www.cuny.edu/employment. To search for this vacancy, click on SEARCH ALL POSTINGS and in SEARCH JOBS field, enter the Job Opening ID number 25585
Click on the "APPLY NOW" button and follow the application instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account.
Please have your documents available to attach into the application before you begin. Note, the required material must be uploaded as ONE document under CV/ Resume (do not upload individual files for a cover letter, references, etc.). The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• Cover Letter and/ or Statement of scholarly interests
• Curriculum Vitae/ Resume
• Names and contact information of 3 references
Upload all documents as ONE single file-- PDF format preferred.
Click on the link below to apply:
If you are a current employee of our organization please use the following link instead:
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on December 21, 2022. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the position/s remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.