|Director Of Diversity Equity & Inclusion - The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture|
Company: University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture
Location: Knoxville, TN
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 09/25/2020
Expire Date: 11/25/2020
Job Categories: Administrative and Support Services, Education, Executive Management
Director Of Diversity Equity & Inclusion - The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture|
The Director serves as a key member of the Institute’s leadership team and reports directly to the deans of the Herbert College of Agriculture, AgResearch, and UT Extension with an indirect reporting line to the UTK Vice Chancellor of Diversity and Engagement. This position will collaborate with offices across the Institute and University to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) in the university’s research, outreach, and educational missions, as well as chair the newly established UTIA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary responsibilities of the Director are to provide strategic leadership and administrative oversight in developing and enhancing efforts to create and sustain a culture that embraces, promotes, and prioritizes equity, diversity, and inclusiveness in the broadest meanings for all staff and students.
The successful candidate will be a skilled relationship-builder, communicator, facilitator, and advisor with outstanding interpersonal skills and a demonstrated focus on teamwork and collaboration. The candidate will exhibit a passion for expanding diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout a university setting.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide vision, leadership, management, assessment, and strategic planning for the design and implementation of an Institute-wide framework that ensures diversity, inclusion, equity, and respect for all staff and students.
• Facilitate and share best practices for enhancing inclusivity, engagement, and cultural competence across UTIA including at the ten AgResearch and Education Centers and the UT Extension county offices across the state.
• Serve as a thought leader and consultant to senior administrators and department leaders to support diversity, inclusion, and engagement efforts in their areas.
• Oversee the newly established UTIA Diversity and Inclusion Council.
• Represent UTIA on system- and campus-level standing diversity committees.
Qualities and Qualifications:
The Director will have significant knowledge and understanding of higher education. Specific skills include:
• Knowledge of Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, and other federal and state regulations.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present complex issues to internal and external audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to develop trust with campus constituents and stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse environment.
• Ability to work effectively across the campus as both an organizational leader and valued colleague.
• Strong emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrable ability to lead through influence at all levels of the organization.
• Discretion and good judgment to handle confidential information.
• Knowledge of diversity, equity, and inclusion programs and best practices, knowledge and experience specific to higher education preferred.
• Ability to act independently and take initiative, applying the principles of emotional intelligence and best practices in organizational change to proposed initiative or plans.
• Ability to manage and develop staff.
• Ability to travel, including semi-regular overnight or multi-day travel.
• Strong organization skills
Education and Experience:
Required: Master’s degree with experience designing and implementing diversity, inclusion and engagement initiatives within a complex institution or organization. Demonstrate experience supervising and leading professional staff and supporting staff professional development.
Preferred: Evidence of working effectively as a leader or member of a team, task force, or committee. Experience working in diverse environments and participating in and leading diversity and inclusion events or activities. Experience developing and conducting training. Demonstrated experience in managing budget and fiscal resources. Two (2) or more years’ experience supervising and leading professional staff and supporting staff professional development. History of thought leadership particularly with respect to diversity as demonstrated through publications, presentations, or other means of communication. Experience managing conflict and building consensus.
Company Name: University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture
The University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture (UTIA) is comprised of four units, including AgResearch, College of Veterinary Medicine, Herbert College of Agriculture, and UT Extension, and is at the core of the University of Tennessee’s land-grant mission of educating, discovering, and connecting. UTIA fulfills that mission by developing solutions and services that advance agriculture, education, natural resource management, human, plant and animal health, and our communities.